Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Free Valet Parking? Nothing is Free.


In Singapore, nothing is free. While signs displayed 'Free Valet Service', you are still required to pay the parking fees, and on top of that, tip the person parking your car. It is only free if you possess the skin of a rhinoceros, picking up your key, and walks away without tipping. In general, it is only polite to tip about S$2. 

My experience at Singapore General Hospital few years back was quite bad with the valet parking. In fact, the valet cordoned off a sizable area of the empty parking space for valet parking, and they posted a similar sign which says, 'free valet service'. It does not make any sense to me, as I have to go through the electronic gantry which charges an exorbitant parking fee, and have my car parked by someone when the empty parking is just right in front of me. However, when the lunch crowd moves in, and the carpark is starting to fill up, a lot of Singaporeans who are not aware of this simply thought the carpark is full, and will stop their car just before the cones, and leave the car with the valet. However, if they drove in a little more, they would realize there is a lot of empty spaces inside. I have since learned to be smart, and will just drive through the cones, smile and wave, and park the car myself. Unless the parking is full, and I am rushing, then I will leave the car with the valet. As said, nothing is free, especially in Singapore.