Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Going to Johor Bahru or Senai International Airport to and from Singapore

Singapore MRT System
I recently took a trip to Sabah during the Chinese New Year season, and as there were no tickets directly from Singapore, I went via the Johor route. I took a train to Kranji MRT, and from the Kranji Bus Terminal, I took bus 170 (Blue Plate) to Kotaraya Bus terminal/ City Lounge. From there, I was supposed to transit to another bus, Causeway Link Express, MYR$8, to Senai International Airport, but realized I have to wait more than an hour for the next bus, so I decided to take a cab instead. The trip via taxi from Kotaraya to Senai takes about 40 minutes and it costs me MYR$40. In order to catch the Causeway Link Express, you will need to time your trip. Check this link for the time schedule. http://www.causewaylink.com.my/airport-shuttle-bus. An alternative bus you can take is SBS Transit Bus 950 from Woodlands after alighting at Woodlands MRT if you prefer not to go to Kranji. It brings you to Kotaraya bus terminal too. Returning trip from Senai International Airport is the same, just do it in reverse order. While there is direct taxi service from Senai International Airport to Singapore, it was not available for me when I reach there in the evening about 6pm. I was stunned, as the the notice board clearly offer taxi trips to Singapore. When I queried the receptionist, all she does was shrugged and says, 'no taxi to Singapore'. I ended up taking the MYR$8 Shuttle Bus to Kotaraya/ City Lounge, then transit via SBS 950 to the customs. However, from the customs, as the wait for SBS 950 was simply too long (more than 30 minutes), I switched to SBS 170 (Blue Plate) to Kranji MRT.

At the customs, you will need to alight twice (once at Singapore Customs, the other is at Malaysia Customs). In order to cut down some time, you can take any SBS buses between customs, since they only drop you, and pick you up later after you have cleared customs. The bus operates by EZ link card, basically a contactless smart card, which can be purchased at the terminal. However, if you take the Malaysian Causeway Link, I believe it is more difficult as they provide you with a bus ticket, which you will need to show each time you take the bus again.  Another useful link for some clarity to Senai International Airport from Singapore. However do take note that the frequency for Causeway Link Express is not every 20 minutes as stated. http://www.senaiairport.com/temp/travel_options/bus_kranji-sia.html. Bon Voyage!